Running to help patients beat the clock against a dreadful & rare disease!

We need more than runners!! However, this might be a great motivator to encourage you to start this invigorating activity. If you have never run before we encourage you to try the Couch To 5K Training Plan

May 1, 2009

Welcome: My Mission, My Goal, My Purpose

I began running a few weeks ago and while my schedule has been difficult to maintain, my drive has not. There have been several sources of inspiration for me to begin. First off is my son Elias, who is afflicted with Fanconi Anemia. Secondly, was my experience in January of 2008 on a trip to Disney World just after learning prenatally that Elias would have some issues, potentially life-threatening. We were there for marathon weekend and watching many of the runners wearing shirts and flair of different sorts to promote their causes gave me the initial idea. It also was something I wanted to be a part of. Finally, one of my two best friends from high school has been running for several years now. He loves it and after just two weeks, I can understand why. I have always admired anyone I have known that has had the ability to commit to this activity. This is something I have been wanting to do for many years, but never had the motivation...until now.

This is a personal expereince that I hope to grow into a group or organization of not only fellow runners, but support people as well. Our Mission will ultimately be to run in events nationwide, 5k to marathons, to help raise awareness for FA. There are several families and groups that host runs to benefit FA specifically and I hope that our group will be able to assist in making these events more widely known, which in turn will create success for those benefits. Over the next few months I will be continuing my training and sharing my progress. I will also be sharing my thoughts, ideas, and visions for this group. I would also like to collect ideas and begin compiling a list of members and their "talents." Anything in any capacity you feel like you can offer will be received with open arms. Maybe you have always wanted to run, but like myself never really had the motivation. Running for a cause is great motivation, especially if you have a family member or close friend impacted by this disease. It feels great, your body feels the benefits, and best of all you are increasing the awareness for a rare disease many doctors are not familiar with. Because of this there is always a need to promote and raise money for research towards better management and ultimately a cure for FA. 

Thank you for taking a little time to check this out. I hope that you are interested in helping. Please email me or leave comments with your thoughts, ideas, and interest in being a part of what I know will be a fantastic and worthy community of individuals looking to share their passion and talents towards the advancement of a cure for Fanconi Anemia.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts and comments. We appreciate your support. If you are interested in helping or becoming a running4FA member please contact Michael FA_Father@live.com